Thursday, July 21, 2011

A long absence

About 2 months or so ago another Zazzle shopkeeper and I had a "clashing" to put it nicely. I understood where she was coming from and I decided it was in my best interest to close the new store I had created and take down the photo design she felt both closely reflected her work. I 100% had no problem with doing so, but it did take a while for me to not feel drained from it. I did start back up on designs and have kept on doing it. Truthfully there's not a day where I don't have a ton of designs that are waiting to be published. Designing is easy, but publishing is always my headache. Is it sad it took me a year to figure out how to do it effectively? Even though I know how to do it now, I still would rather come up with more designs instead!

I wish I could say we're all original out there... but truth be told we're fighting how many other shopkeepers as well? I tried finding this information out, but truthfully I don't know how many shopkeepers are on Zazzle. I'm sure we've all thought, "this would be a great design to create!" and not realized someone has posted something similar. It comes with the territory. So I tread lightly and try being careful in my work, but there's only so much you can do. I know there will always be hate and competition, but I don't want to step on people's toes. I don't want others to feel like I'm following their work and trying to get the sales instead of them when it's not that way. I do respect the shopkeepers on the forums I go to and the people I follow on twitter.

I'm here for designing.. what money is made is great. Like others I'd love to be making more through Zazzle. My husband gets out of the Navy in 1 1/2 years and I'd love to be able to help support us while he is searching for a job. Unfortunately the type of job he'd love to have (woodworking) is no where near what he is trained and qualified to do. Some day I wish I could say I make enough through Zazzle to support us that he could pursue his hobby into a profession, but I'm logical. It doesn't mean I won't stop trying to do more though. I'd love to see him follow his passion. When he does get the chance to work on projects he does awesome, you should see our wall DVD holders!

I promise tomorrow or the next day I'll show off some of the products I've designed the last 2 months. I think I have about 30 designs up - around 4 colors each design. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks before I'm due I'll get the rest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...